jeudi 28 août 2008

NIGER : Amoumene, "Sometimes, I think I am close to losing my mind"


UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs-27-08-08
jeudi 28 août 2008


Hundreds of displaced from fighting in Niger’s north have come to Agadez

AGADEZ, 27 August 2008 (IRIN) - Amoumene, 27 years old (not his real name) fled fighting last November in the Air Mountains, coming south to Agadez, one of the largest towns in Niger’s north.

For the past year and a half, rebels have been launching attacks against the Niger government, demanding more investment and uranium profits that come from the resource-rich mountainous desert.

Fighting has displaced more than 10,000 civilians, who have fled deeper into the mountains, over the desert into Libya and Algeria, or like Amoumene, find themselves in previous tourist hubs that have been rocked and emptied out by the desert violence.

"I came here because a man of my age who is in the mountains will be suspected of being a rebel. I could have been picked up or targeted by the government at any minute. I could not join the rebellion because I am the oldest son and if I die, who will take care of my family ?

"I had an onion garden five kilometres south of Iferouane. I had put all my money into the planting because I expected to sell my onions and use the earnings to get married. But I could not stay because of the violence.

"During combat in November [2007], I fled with a camel herder. We travelled two days before we arrived to Agadez. I have been trying to find work for the past nine months. I go to the centre where employers search for workers, but they all want people with schooling. I have never been to school.

"I am upset now that my parents never put me in school, but I know they needed me at home to help. I cannot go home because I have nothing to offer my family. I cannot stay here if I cannot even make money to cover rice ?

"And as a Tuareg, I know that anytime there is an explosion or combat, no matter how far away, people look at me with suspicion. Sometimes, I think I am close to losing my mind. I wake up afraid a mine will go off- anywhere.

"I just want peace to return. I want to see my garden and afford to marry and get on with my life. I would never think about trying to go far away to look for work like some people who escape at sea to Europe. Nomads are too attached to the desert. If I am desperate enough, I will go through the mountains into Libya or Algeria.

"But I am too tired to even do that."

Aucun commentaire: